For about 3,700 shoppers, everything they buy with their MasterCard buys a little extra for Concordia students.
They are holders of the Concordia University/Bank of Montreal MasterCard, which is available on request to alumni, faculty, staff, students and friends of the University.
The card is dark red, with Concordia's crest alongside the MasterCard logo. The more people who use it, at no extra cost to themselves, the greater the return to students, now and in the future.
Twice a year, all departments, academic or otherwise, as well as student-administered organizations and affiliations, are invited to submit applications for consideration by a committee chaired by the Director of Alumni Affairs. The projects are judged on the basis of their merit and direct benefit to the widest range of students in the long term.
Over the past eight years, the program has donated $125,000 to projects that enhance student life. Last fall alone, $14,000 was given to the projects listed below.
Fall 1998 MasterCard Affinity Program recipients:
* Concordia Model United Nations, to participate in a competition
* Department of Religion, for the Journal of Religion and Culture
* Art History/Fine Arts, for the J. Russell Harper Memorial Reading and Reference Room
* Cinema/Communication Studies, for Projet Y, a film festival
Linguistics Students Association, for a public lecture
* Centre for Instructional Technol- ogy, for IITS helpline support
* Concordia Snowboarding Club, for Project FreeRide, which gives underprivileged children a day on Mt. Royal
* MBA program, for the Inter-
national MBA Case Competition
* Concordia Literacy Association, for their new Slingshot literary journal
* Concordia Association of
Students in English, for BARD,
a series of literary readings and jazz evenings
* Financial Aid and Awards, for the Emergency Loan Fund
* Art History Graduate Student Association, for their graduate student conference
* Liberal Arts College, for the
journal At an Uncertain Hour
* Rekindling the Loyola Spirit group, for "Revive the Hive"
* Student Sculpture Association, to create a modest common room for 150 students
* Exercise Science Students Asso- ciation, for anatomy models for their learning lab
* Department of Theatre, to revital- ize a student area
* Concordia Fibres Student Asso- ciation, for a student exhibition
Applications for the MasterCard Affinity Program and for the Concordia MasterCard are available at the Office of Alumni Affairs, in Bishop Court, 1463 Bishop St., BC-101.