Nineteen people, 12 of them students, have been identified as playing
a role in the violent incidents surrounding a scheduled speech by former
Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu in the Hall Building on Sept.
9 and the aftermath.
The students will face charges under the university’s Code of Rights and
Responsibilities as it existed on Sept. 9. The Code, which is currently
being reviewed, provides for a range of sanctions, from written reprimand
to suspension or expulsion.
The university said in a written
statement released Oct. 31 that careful study of videotape footage and
other evidence led to the charges. The investigation continues, and further
charges will be laid as individuals are identified.
Of the 19 people identified, five have already been charged by the police
under the criminal code or municipal bylaws. These charges include obstruction
of a police officer and illegal assembly.
Additional complaints have been filed with the police against seven other
people. Of the non-students, four will be barred from Concordia’s campus
and will not be permitted to register at the university for a period of
One of these four has been identified as being among those responsible
for breaking the large front window in the Henry F. Hall Building that
was featured in media coverage of the Sept. 9 event.
Most of these charges under
the university’s Code relate to breaking through the security perimeter
in the Hall Building and occupation of the mezzanine and escalators. It
was these actions that directly led to the cancellation of Netanyahu’s
speech. As outlined in article 16 of the Code, they created an “intimidating
and hostile atmosphere.” Everyone on the mezzanine and escalator who has
so far been identified has been charged.
Confidentiality requirements in the Code mean that the names of those
charged can’t be released, but if they decide to make the charges public,
it will be concluded that they have waived confidentiality.
The university administration has received several complaints of assault,
intimidation and spitting outside the Hall Building on Sept. 9. “While
the University vigorously deplores such behaviour, none of these incidents
was captured on videotape and as a result, with one exception, the individuals
involved could not be identified,” the statement said. The policy of zero
tolerance for violent and intimidating behaviour will continue.